Wednesday, May 22, 2013

In other news

Today I'm going to talk about good music. Well, not all of the good music in the world, but a handful of my current favorites.


But before we jump into the topic of music in general, I'm going to shamelessly advertise my music.  Recently, a friend and I have been working on a project. I can't say much about it, but it required music and she heard some of my old music. I was going to retire from my experimenting with music and just call it quits, but apparently people like whatever the noise it is I make. 

So, I present to you "MUSIC FROM DEAD HOSPITAL HALLS"

It's a work in progress, the album gradually updating as I create different tracks. I'm posting them there because, well, I'm picky about my storage on my computer. 




I must warn you though, the music really isn't.. well, musical. It's repetitive, dark, droning ambient... well, whatever it is. There's no flying notes and colors, it's made to make you feel uneasy. I hope this is what I have accomplished. Essentially, it's going to be an OST for a game, but that's all I'm going to reveal to you right now.


Now, moving on to people who /actually have talent./

Daft punk has recently released their album- Random Acess Memories.  These guys have been around for a while, and to be honest, they inspire me... A lot. 

They've always been pioneers in music, exploring and creating new sounds that people have been addicted to countless times now.


They've inspired me to create, not in the musical sense, but in artistic sense. They did what they wanted to do- found out that they liked doing that, and that they were good at it.  I respect it when people have that sort of attitude about music. It's quite inspiring, and I hope that somewhere out there, someone else has been as inspired as I am.

I guess my love for the french-duo-robots goes a little deeper than the artistic sense too. They're pretty adorable, despite their shyness.  Their over all personalities have helped them out in music too, I think.  They're charming, to put it simply.



If electronic isn't quite to your tasting, and you're more of a musical person, well, I suppose you're missing out.. Just kidding, I have something for you too. 

Recently, a friend introduced me to a musical called Razia's Shadow. It's a very interesting tale about a man bringing a great discovery to his people- only to have his talents misused. In the end, he ends up feeling bitter, mistreated and taken for granted. And well, to be honest, he is. So he brings destruction to his land and people, thus splitting the land into two halves- one would be the dark, one would be the light.

There's an intermission, and when you come out of it you're 100 years in the future, the story of his descendant now taking place. He's from the dark half, but realizes that there was a prophecy that someone would re-unite the halves. When he discovers that he is the one who is supposed to do this. I'm too lazy to tell you what happens next, but you can listen to it on youtube. There's creepy doctors, which makes it 100+ better. In fact, I don't think I would have even listened to it if it weren't for the doctor. 






And last, but not least, I would like to introduce you to a band that has shifted my art style for a while now, who's lyrics have inspired me, who's voices have.. well, sounded angelic upon my ears.  

I'm not going to lie to you. I'm not a big fan of "indie" "alternative" or whatever this is classified as.. But The National has been an exception for a while now. Like most fans, I discovered them through the game Portal 2. In one level of the game, there's a hidden area. In this area, there's a radio playing a song that they had especially written for the game, the song "exile vilify."  The song capitvated me, and I immediately ran to youtube to find it.

It wasn't until about a year later when I started listening to the rest of their music. I found out that they'd been around for a long time now, and that, well, their other music was just as good, if not better than their song Exile Vilify. I was thrilled to find a band that I liked so much, so I pumped their music into my head as fast as I could. 


There's quite a few albums out by them, my favorites being High Violet, The Virginia EP,  Boxer, Alligator and Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers. 

But recently, a new favorite has been added to that list. Their newest album (just released yesterday), Trouble Will Find Me has been the only thing I've really been listening to since yesterday.  Every song is a work of art, with captivating sound and lyrics. 



It's late, and I guess I should get to bed.  But for now, I'm going to leave you with my favorite song from each of these albums.



Daft Punk- Get Lucky



The Exit- Razia's Shadow



Sea of Love- The National

No comments:

Post a Comment